COVID-19 – What do we know about the situation in Vietnam? A deep dive into Vietnam COVID-19 patient data
Autrice : Tran Nguyen. Data analyst with molecular biology and bioinformatics background.
Site : Medium. Towards Data Sciences.
Note from the editors: Towards Data Science is a Medium publication primarily based on the study of data science and machine learning. We are not health professionals or epidemiologists, and the opinions of this article should not be interpreted as professional advice. To learn more about the coronavirus pandemic
Date : 2 mai 2020.
According to Johns Hopkins University, there now has been more than 3.4 million COVID-19 confirmed cases with at least 239,622 deaths worldwide across 212 countries and territories (Updated on May 2, 2020).
The number of confirmed cases and deaths has exponentially risen and reached the grim milestone in many countries. Meanwhile, Vietnam currently has only 270 COVID-19 confirmed cases in total with NO FATALITIES. And now, Vietnam is on its 16 straight days with no new local transmitted cases and 8 straight days with no new cases. This leaves us so many questions to ask.
What has happened in Vietnam?
- Was the number of COVID-19 cases reported by Vietnamese officials undercounted? Did testing work well in Vietnam?
- Did the Vietnam government hide the scope of their local COVID-19 pandemic? And if not, with such the ‘real’ low number of cases and no death, how did Vietnam contain the virus?
- What did we know about Vietnam COVID-19 patients? Are there any characteristics of the patients that may help slow down the infection rate in Vietnam?
Note de l’autrice :
- This is my personal work with no link to any organization. Although this analysis is data-driven, my comments reflect my personal perspectives.
- My results are based on the data collected from the Vietnam Health Ministry website and mainstream media in Vietnam. The data might be biased and reflects what is publicly available on the internet. However, it can serve as a good reference for someone who is curious about the COVID-19 pandemic in Vietnam. (To be honest, I so far has not been satisfied with the scope of any reports about Vietnam COVID-19 pandemic, so I decided to make one myself).
URL : https://towardsdatascience.com/covid-19-what-do-we-know-about-the-situation-in-vietnam-82c195163d7e (consulté le 03/05/2020).
Illustration “à la une” : Figure 6. Nationality of Vietnam COVID-19 Patients © Medium / Tran Nguyen